Two weeks before some friends left for a family trip to Europe, their home flooded. A terrible experience.
They scrambled to get a new set of passports issued to them. After paying hefty fees to get them expedited, they received them just in time. But still. Definitely not a situation they ever want to repeat. Ever.
Let this be a lesson that a fireproof safe is not enough. You need to purchase a Waterproof & Fireproof Home Safe if you really want to protect valuables inside your home. When you go to the store to purchase this item, make sure to read the boxes carefully because most of the home safes for sale only protect from fire.
Just like fire extinguishers, a safe is an item most people forget to purchase for their home. But it’s important because it provides security and peace of mind.
That’s why a Waterproof & Fireproof Home Safe makes a thoughtful wedding, housewarming, birthday or Christmas gift. It’s also a great gift for yourself if you don’t already have one!
To add a “thoughtful twist” to this gift idea, include a list of the types of documents and items they may want to include in their new safe.
- Insurance policies and agent contact information
- Social Security cards
- Certified copies of birth certificates
- Marriage certificate
- Important papers related to investments, retirement plans, bank accounts, and associated contact information
- Copies of important legal documents, including wills, powers of attorney, living wills, and health care proxies
- A list of family doctors, prescription medications, and contact information for all pharmacies you use
CDs or an external hard drive containing digital copies of all family photos and videos
- Key to safety deposit box
- Spare keys and titles to all vehicles
Warning: Some items, such as jewelry, should not be placed in waterproof safes since they have a higher moisture content. Read the instructions that come with the safe carefully.
When used as a wedding gift, another “thoughtful twist” includes placing a heart-shaped item (or a pair of handcuffs!) in the safe for them to find, along with a note that says “Protect & Keep Your Love Safe.”
Peace of mind for five minutes, that’s what I crave. – Alanis Morissette