I discovered something at the age of 32. No, it wasn’t the secret of life. But close! Oreo popcorn.
I obtained the name of the store that sold this tasty treat because I planned on buying some for my son’s birthday party. Then I thought, “Waaaaaaait a minute. They can’t be that hard to make!”
I was right y’all. All it takes to make them are three ingredients. Easy peasy!
- 12 cups popped popcorn with kernels removed
(Tip: A regular size bag of microwave popcorn makes 8 cups.)
- 20 finely crushed Oreos
- 20 oz. white vanilla almond bark
- Crush the Oreos (or cookies & cream sandwich cookies) in a gallon-size freezer bag.
(Freezer bags don’t puncture as easily as the regular kind.)
- Melt the almond bark according to the package instructions.
(The microwave instructions worked really well for me. After the first heating, make sure to stir it around for a while because it will make everything melt even more.)
- Slowly drizzle the melted almond bark over the popped popcorn and then sprinkle the crushed Oreos on top. Take two wooden spoons to lightly toss the popcorn in the bowl so everything is evenly coated.
(I find it works best if you split the popped popcorn evenly into two large bowls before adding the almond bark and crushed Oreos.)
- Allow the almond bark to set.
- Eat, share and enjoy!
If you don’t eat it all right away, store in airtight containers.
Oreo popcorn makes a great edible gift for teachers, neighbors, co-workers, family and friends for any holiday. Everyone’s used to the tins of butter, caramel and cheese popcorn, and then you come in with BOOM! – OREO POPCORN – and now you’ve taken their popcorn experience to a whole new level.
TIP: Orange Halloween Oreos and red Christmas Oreos are perfect for this recipe!
What are your favorite popcorn flavors? Tell us in the Comments section!